1.The name ‘India’ is derived from the River Indus, the valleys around which were the home of the early settlers.
2.India has the largest number of Post Offices in the world.
3.The world's highest cricket ground is in Chail, Himachal Pradesh.
Built in 1893 after leveling a hilltop, this cricket pitch is 2444 meters above sea level.
4. Until 1986, the only place where diamonds had been officially found was in India.
5. Martial Arts were first created in India, and later spread to Asia by Buddhist missionaries.
6 .Chess was invented in India.
7. India exports software to 90 countries.
8. The world's first university was established in Takshila in 700 BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects.The University of Nalanda built in the 4th century was one of the greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of education.
9. Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus also originated in India.Quadratic Equations were used by Sridharacharya in the 11th century.The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were
106 whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10*53 (i.e. 10 to the power of 53) with specific names as early as 5000 B.C.during the Vedic period.Even today, the largest used number is Terra: 10*12
(10 to the power of 12).
10.The Baily Bridge is the highest bridge in the world. It is located in the Ladakh valley between the Dras and Suru rivers in the Himalayan mountains.It was built by the Indian Army in August 1982.